Fool-Proof Sugar Cookie Recipe
Whether you make a cookie with the shape of a kangaroo, a K, a heart, a circle or just use a knife to make squares, you need an easy and delicious recipe. After you make them share your photos with #KangarooCareDay and #KangarooCare
Kangaroo Day Sugar Cookie
(Vanilla or Lemon)
Yield: Makes about 50 kangaroo cookies
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, or 2 teaspoons
fresh lemon juice and zest of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup fine sanding/powder sugar, for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in vanilla or lemon juice and zest. Wrap dough in plastic; chill for about 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to ⅛ inch thick. Cut into kangaroo shapes using the cookie cutter.
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator. Bake until edges just start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks and decorate with sanding/powder sugar, if desired.
- Share and Enjoy them!